Friday, January 15, 2010

Internet Donations -- Brown vs. Obama

I made a donation to the Scott Brown campaign the other day and my credit card information was processed as if I was making a purchase from Amazon or any other reputable online merchant.  I had to provide my full name, address and phone number -- the one that matches my Visa billing account information -- along with the security code from the back of the card.

I gave on Tuesday, the "moneybomb" day, when he hoped to raise $1 million.  According to the AP, he took in $1.3 million (and roughly a mil a day for the rest of the week) from about 16,000 contributors who gave an average of $78.

Compare this to the MSM-hailed Obama campaign, which was supposed to be THE grassroots, small-donor, internet savvy campaign.  From what I can find, the campaign never gave out figures on the number of people who contributed nor the average amount donated.  Maybe this article in the Washington Post provides a clue as to why:

Obama Accepting Untraceable Donations 
Contributions Reviewed After Deposits 

Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign is allowing donors to use largely untraceable prepaid credit cards that could potentially be used to evade limits on how much an individual is legally allowed to give or to mask a contributor's identity, campaign officials confirmed.

Why do that? To launder the donations and make them untraceable. There really are no justifiable reasons except ones that stink to high heaven.

Brown is running a real grass-roots campaign.  I am not naive enough to think that he is not also getting big money contributions, but he certainly is getting a fair number of clams from guys like me -- and he can prove it.  Obama?  Not really. The MSM ran a few articles to "prove" they could be tough on him but quickly flushed the whole investigation down the memory hole.  Well, not all of us forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment